As many of you know, Australian poet and writer Paul Squires has died. I didn’t know him very well, but we did sporadically comment on each other’s blogs and I do own a copy of his book, The Puzzle Box. His writing was unique and infused with his love of music and Paul Squires transformed words into jazz, each syllable a note in the composition of his artistic vision.
One year ago August 2, Paul visited this blog and as it happens I’d posted a version of The Proust Questionaire. It took some cajoling, but he eventually posted his answers in my comments section. Here they are. Farewell Paul, fly high and thank you for your words. they will be treasured by many.
1. What is your primary characteristic?
2. What qualities do you love in a man?
An understanding that that is first and foremost a responsibility.
3. What qualities do you love in a woman?
4. What do you appreciate most about your friends?
5. What is your main fault?
6. What is your favorite occupation?
7. What is your idea of happiness?
Absence of need
8. What is your idea of misery?
9. If not yourself, then who would you be?
Someone with a heartbeat and a brain
10. Where would you like to live?
11. What is your favorite color?
Right, now Mango Sunsets
12. Who is your favorite author?
13. Who is your favorite poet?
14. Who is your favorite fictional hero?
The bloke I am playing in Fallout 3. Well anti-hero obviously.
15. Who is your favorite historical hero?
16. Who is your favorite composer?
17. Who are your heroes in real life?
Lots of nameless people I see in the sreet.
18. What is your favorite flower?
Chysanthemums Cos it’s such a spectacular word.
19. Who is your favorite painter?
20. What character in history do you most dislike?
George Bush and cronies,
21. Which is your favorite name?
22. What is your favorite food?
Anything Wil Cox Jnr cooks, I eat.
23. Which is your favorite drink?
24. What do you hate the most?
25. What talent do you wish you had been gifted with?
I don’t like regret, and this question triggers a storm of regret.
26. How do you wish to die?
27. What is your present state of mind?
Not quite empty but this is a lot of questions.
28. For what fault have you the most tolerance?
29. Do you have a motto?
30. What would you like to do right now?